Tuesday 31 May 2011

Beforehand Research^^

5/31/2011

It's long weekend tomorrow!
I am going to Ontario for my long weekend!
I did a bit of research on this beautiful province.

Geographically, it is located in east-central Canada and it is a province! It's second largest in total area. Ontario is bordered by Manitoba on its west, Hudson Bay on its north, Quebec on its east, and by three states of the United States to its south (from west to east): Minnesota, Michigan, and New York. Ohio and Pennsylvania are across Lake Erie. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario) What a vast land!
All but a small portion of Ontario's 2,700 km border with the United States follow inland waterways: from the west at Lake of the Woods, eastward along the major rivers and lakes of the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence River drainage system. These are the Rainy River, Lake Superior, the St. Mary's River, Lake Huron, the St. Clair River, Lake St. Clair, Lake Erie, the Niagara River, Lake Ontario, and along the St. Lawrence River from Kingston, Ontario to the Quebec boundary just east of Cornwall, Ontario. Ontario is sometimes broken into 2 regions: Southern and Northern. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario)
I am planning to go to Toronto first and then travel to Ottawa, the capital of Canada. I also want to go to St. Catherine to catch up with the rowing event. Lastly, I want to go to Hamilton and relax a bit.

Before these trip, I need to get a better, general understanding on Ontario.
Ontario is Canada's most populated province because it is where the government of Canada is (Ottawa) but also the location of the main economic center (Toronto). Toronto is the most populated city in Canada. The great majority of Ontario's population and its arable land are located in the south, mostly along the northern lakeshores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario. In contrast, the northern three-quarters of Ontario is sparsely populated. According to the account in 2010, Ontario has about 13,210,667 people in total population and the population density is 13.8 people /km square! (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ontario) The population is growing so fast because it's the center of Canada and it has many wonderful factors such as great views, hydro-power, biggest cities, fertile lands.....It's just awesome! These factors aren't just the pulling factors, they are also the lasting factors!!!!!!
WOW O_o!
What kind of clothes should I bring? hmmmm....let me check. Toronto and Ottawa are inland cities so the climate should be continental climate. It's almost June so it probably will be quite hot there. I need shorts and T-shirts!
I need to do a research on the climate in Ontario because I am interested in it^^

In northern Ontario, people usually expect cold winters. But It's Summer! So Keep Rolling Down. Weather in Ontario can be unpredictable, and at times extreme, but the climate generally is described as continental. Hmmm, that's what I thought too:) Ontario is quite wet since there are some precipitation. I better grab an umbrella just in case. All these cities are on the flat land so the precipitation would be convectional.....sounds too nerdy....I will just bring my rain gear. 
I saw the picture on the internet: Ontarion is covered 65% forest and 20% water. What a beautiful place! A natural environment is where I want to be^^ I heard the 5 great lakes are awesome and amazing. I will definitely go and take a look. These lakes are.....Ontario, Erie, Superior, Michigan and Heron. hmmm, I don't think I have enough time for all. I will just go to Lake Ontario and Erie because the famous Niagara Fall is there! I am not going to the mountains because I am LAZY! Most of these cities are in St. Lawrence river valley region where the land is fertile and rich. That's probably why people settled here long time ago.

Anyway, enough research. I got to pack now and sleep early tonight so I have enough energy for tomorrow! 





Sourcing: Wikipedia, Google Pictures and Provincial Government Weather website.

No comments:

Post a Comment